Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Students

In my last post, I talked about the sheer number of students that attend UoM. Spring break was last week, and you can definitely tell that it is over, back to lines everywhere-  coffee shops, convenience stores, restaurants, to get on buses, to get off buses-  I'm not joking, lines everywhere.

The students here, walk around with headphones constantly blaring music, and typically with their head down. But I've noticed some trends in both fashion and life style while here.
I think he has sweat pants & a bag with Michigan on them.

First, a love for Michigan - everyone owns something that shows their school pride. I've seen the whole spectrum, from backpacks, and other assorted bags, to umbrellas (when its raining or snowing), shirts and sweatshirts, but also hats, winter hats, gloves, sweatpants, jackets.  I know that they sell similar merchandise with the Dartmouth logo, but you don't see it thrown in your face nearly as much.

Speaking of sweatpants - they LOVE them here. I would guess that 1/3 to 1/2 of the students I see are wearing sweatpants - usually with Michigan down the leg.

And with their sweatpants they also love to wear their decorative boots.
Well.. the girls at least. I've seen sequined UGGs and basically any other decorative boot imaginable The students here alone could keep UGG and Sorel in business.

The students seem pretty laid back, but I haven't had too much of a need to interact with them. Its different than Utah in that people don't just start talking to you - rather everyone is very involved in their own world.

Well I guess I did have a little bit of an interaction with Sal.. but I think he deserves a post of his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment